Chemical Hygiene Plan
- This document applies to the laboratory use of hazardous chemicals by all personnel under the direct
supervision of a CSU employee (i.e., Temporary Employees, Temporary Agency Employees, Voluntary
Employees, Part-Time Employees, Full-Time Employees, Student Assistants, Federal Work Study Assistants,
Graduate Assistants, etc.). All personnel shall comply with the provisions outlined in this document.
- For the purpose of this document, the laboratory use of hazardous chemicals is defined as the use of
hazardous chemicals in a facility in a manner in which all of the following conditions are met:
The use of hazardous chemicals on campus which does not meet these conditions shall be managed in
accordance with Title 8, Section 5194, the Hazard Communication Standard.
- Chemical manipulations are carried out on a scale in which the containers used for reactions,
transfers, and other handling of substances are designed to be easily and safely manipulated
by one person;
- Multiple chemical procedures or chemicals are used;
- The procedures involved are not part of a production process, or in any way simulate a production
- "Protective laboratory practices and equipment" are available and in common use industry-wide to
minimize the potential for employee exposure to hazardous chemicals.